Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What's My Motive? II

While reading "Anne of Green Gables" by L. M. Montgomery the other night, this quote struck me.

"How unfortunate that Anne should have displayed such a temper before Mrs. Rachel Lynde, of all people! Then Marilla suddenly became aware of an uncomfortable and rebuking consciousness that she felt more humiliation over this than sorrow over the discovery of such a serious defect in Anne's disposition."

This book, regarding children's behavior, is concerned primarily about outward acts and never concerned with the heart but it still made me think about my motives in correcting my children. Do I experience sorrow/Do I react because they have hurt my reputation or because they have sinned against the holy God?

Hmmmm.... Certainly something for me to think about.

No comments: