Sunday, June 10, 2007

Forgiveness

I don't know why I don't post more. I have a lot of deep thoughtful moments. They are just usually fleeting and while I am thinking about it I say to myself "I should blog about this." Then by the time I sit down at my computer I have drawn a blank and I wonder what it was that I thought was so interesting earlier in the day. Well anyway, here's a little bit of how God's been dealing with me.

My husband and I were recently hurt by the words and actions of someone very dear to us and Andy made a quick, yet discerning decision to talk to this person about the situation. We were not even able to get words out about what we thought and how it affected us before this person apologized and admitted what they had done to hurt and offend us. It was such a sincere and heartfelt apology as well as a swallowing of pride in admitting the wrong that had been done. As I listened all that came to mind was Luke 12:48 "...Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required..." This verse is often used in the church as a reminder to share the wealth God has given, suggesting that if God has given you much (materially) you should give much to others. While I agree with this sentiment, I was struck on a very different level in this moment. How gracious God has been to forgive me of this wretched, sinful heart. What right would I have not to forgive? Psalm 103:11-12 "For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us." And He commands me to forgive as he forgave. How easy it was to put this incident of being sinned against into perspective when I remember all that has been forgiven me. I am so thankful that "God does not deal with me according to my sins" Psalm 103:10 I hope that I can remember this as I struggle through this broken and sinful world in order to forgive others as Christ forgave me.

Another thing that I have been mulling over is how absolutely sincere this broken, sinful person was in seeking forgiveness from two people who are as broken and sinful as he. How much more sincere and broken should my heart be when I enter into the presence of my Holy King to repent and seek forgiveness. The very thought of God's design for my salvation is awe inspiring. I think repentance to a Holy God who has already forgiven me should be exciting. How wonderful is it that what God wants from me is to repent and let go so he can change me, not to promise to change myself. I can't do anything to earn my salvation or change it (whew!) but what a joy it is to know that God will help me to see my sin and bring me face to face with Him so that I can repent and let Him change me.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I couldn't have said it any better.
:-)

Jen said...

He is a very good God. So kind. We're blessed.